Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Willow vs. Shannon

"I'm tired of looking 'round rooms/ Wondering what I've got to do/ Or who I'm supposed to be/ I don't want to be anything other than me." - "I Don't Want to Be" by Gavin Degraw

When I first came up with the idea of Willow, I knew exactly what kind of character she would be. Some writers brainstorm or chart, trying to come up with all of these traits that make up one personality, but I instantly knew who she was. Here are the top five characteristics that make Willow who she is:

1. Independent
2. Caring
3. Emotional
4. Perfectionistic
5. Musical, not just in the traditional sense, but also that music is
always in her head and in her soul.

Someone made the comment to me not that long along that they are surprised when Willow does something so different from what I would do, because in some ways, I did make her similar to me. If I had to list five traits that make me, Shannon, who I am, they would be:

1. Emotional
2. Opinionated
3. Intelligent
4. Perfectionistic
5. Creative

I'm sure you can see the similarities. I think a lot of writers put a little bit of themselves into their characters, either on purpose or by accident. After all, you write what you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment