Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Splatter Painting

"I see a red door and I want to paint it black." - "Paint it Black" by The Rolling Stones

Today was splatter painting day! The girls love this art project, even though we have to do it outside in the blistering heat, which is not my favorite thing, believe me. I guess it's not too bad for them though, since they paint in their bathing suits, then rinse off in a wading pool. Why do they have to rinse off, you ask? Because by the time they have flung what is easily an entire cup of paint across the yard (with plastic spoons!) onto two very large sheets of poster paper, they are COVERED head to toe in a sea of rainbow tempera paint. It's wild, crazy, free, and they always have a blast painting the paper, and ultimately, each other. The clean up of the yard and children is a little time-consuming, but how can I say no to splatter painting when I see how happy it makes the girls? They will only be little like this for a short time, so I try to encourage their uninhibited creativity as often as possible, even if it's at the expense of my sanity! What will we do tomorrow? I am going to tackle the Chrysler Museum of Art with a three year old and a five year old. Have I completely lost my mind? I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You are making memories for them! They will probably remember the splatter painting forever. Have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like loads of fun and memories! I have never heard of splatter painting in the yard! Desiree and Jason have done it in the past, on white walls of their bedroom w/black paint. It turned out nice, you do have to use lots of drop cloths :)! Hope you had fun at the Art Museum. Always, Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete