Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Hunk"leberry Finn and Surfer Joe

"He went down to Huntington Beach one week/ For the annual surfers' convention meet/ He was hanging five, and walking the nose/ And when the meet was over, the trophy was Joe's."

I have given the girls I teach an appreciation for classic surf rock by the greats like The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, and The Surfaris, who sing the girls' latest favorite, "Surfer Joe". While on our way to drop Riley off at the bus stop for camp this morning, both girls were singing the song and Alana said that she wanted to go to the beach with Surfer Joe. That started an argument between the girls over who "Joe" would have more fun surfing with. They are three and five! All I could do was shake my head and try not to laugh at them.

In a couple of weeks, the girls are going camping with their family. Alana very animatedly told me that they were going berry picking and would make a pie with blueberries and "hunk"leberries! When I told her that they were actually called huckleberries, she very seriously told me that, no, they were called hunkleberries and she was going to find a very hunky one to take home! I just burst out laughing, and she rolled her eyes at me and walked away. Out of the mouths of babes...

No comments:

Post a Comment