Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's a Wonder I Can Think at All

"When I think back/ On all the crap I learned in high school/ It's a wonder/ I can think at all/ And though my lack of education/ Hasn't hurt me none/ I can read the writing on the wall." - "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon

Like "Reelin' in the Years", this is also one of my songs. To give you an example of how I identify with "Kodachrome", when I drove by my old high school today, the sign out front read "Welcome back student 2011". There was no gaping hole where the letter "s" had been left off of the word students, just "Welcome back student 2011". Also, the last time I checked, it's still 2010. Brilliant! After spending four years at that school, it's amazing that I retained the ability to think. Luckily, my previous educational career had been in California where the standards and expectations are much higher than they are in the South, and I am happy to say I am not a product of my Virginia education, just a parolee after a four year term.

1 comment:

  1. Good one! I like the parolee part. I guess there will only be one student this year.

    ReplyDelete