Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

From Me to You

"And every one of them words rang true/ And glowed like burnin' coal/ Pourin' off of every page/ Like it was written in my soul from me to you/ Tangled up in blue." - "Tangled Up in Blue" by Bob Dylan

Isn't this what every writer tries to achieve with their creations? To make the reader feel like the words were written just for them? I know I do.

Since the beginning of the "Willow Ryan" series, I have been wondering about my future readers and what they will take away from reading my books. My target audience is women in their twenties and thirties, but these book can be enjoyed by so many more people, from teenagers who could identify with Willow as she grows up quickly to older women who would love Peggy, Willow's hilarious 50-something boss and close friend who she calls her fairy godmother in disguise.

Whoever my readers are, I hope that they are able to take away three things from my work. 1) Willow's determination to succeed and survive her circumstances, by whatever means necessary, 2) an understanding of her reasons for keeping her pregnancy a secret, however right or wrong they may have been, and 3) her all-encompassing love for her child, the unexpected blessing she didn't realize she wanted and needed until it happened. If people can feel these things through my words, then I have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment