Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer's Here and the Time is Right

"Tonight, tonight, the strip's just right/ I wanna blow 'em off in my first heat/ Summer's here and the time is right/ For goin' racing in the street." - Bruce Springsteen

No, I haven't been racing in the street, but don't think that idea hasn't crossed my mind once or twice. If my Mustang was more powerful than just a V-6 I might be even more tempted, but that would probably get me into a lot of trouble. My inclinations toward driving too fast and wondering if I could beat random strangers off the line at a red light are not the reason for this post though. The real reason is Willow's 19-year-old sister, Summer Ryan.

When I ended chapter 21 in my fourth Willow book on Tuesday, Summer was heading off in her Mustang on the way to the drag strip, presumably to race her ex-boyfriend, Mike. Is this a good thing for her to do? Probably not, but that won't stop Summer, who is just a little too fearless and impulsive for her own good. I revealed earlier in the series that Summer used to street race her dad's old Camaro when she was in high school back in Indiana, so now she's graduating to a real track.

I wrote her character this way as a contrast to Willow, who is much more practical and tries to focus on the big picture instead of what is going on right in the moment. They are pretty much classic first and last borns in terms of birth order personalities, but that is another topic for another day.

Now I have to go start chapter 22 and write about what happens when Summer and Mike meet up at the races. It should be interesting! "I met her on the strip three years ago/ In a Camaro with this dude from L.A./ I blew that Camaro off my back and drove that little girl away."

No comments:

Post a Comment