Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Paint it Black

"I see a red door and I want to paint it black/ No colors anymore I want them to turn black/ I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes/ I have to turn my head until my darkness goes." - "Paint it Black" by The Rolling Stones

Today I let the girls do their favorite art project - splatter painting. I strung up two huge pieces of paper outside, poured paint into plastic bowls, handed them each a spoon, and let them fling away! It's actually a fun lesson in physics, but their favorite part is making a huge mess and then getting hosed off. Ah, to be a kid...

To tell you the truth though, I did not want to do splatter painting today. There are a ton of bugs out, the kids were being whiny, it's hot, and I just wasn't in the mood to deal with any of it. But, as the song says, I turned my head, pushed that darkness away, and we went out and turned the backyard into a Jackson Pollack masterpiece. And you know what? We all kind of snapped out of our grumpy moods and had a good time. There's something about hearing the carefree laughter of little children that can remove all sourness from a person's disposition if they just let it. Today, I was laughing right along with them.

Now, remember how I was hoping to get some writing done over the weekend? Well, I didn't. Ugh. But this is a new week and I have high hopes! I will at least finish chapter 20, if not more. And that's a promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment