Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

It Was the Third of June...

"It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day/ I was out choppin' cotton and my brother was bailin' hay." - "Ode to Billie Joe" by Bobbie Gentry

Since today is June 3, there was nothing else I could pick for my song of the day. I just love how the lyrics paint a very clear picture (amid a story of secrets and scandal) of what was happening in Carroll County, Choctaw Ridge, and of course that infamous Tallahatchie Bridge. Fantastic!

Nothing is new on the writing front, other than I've resumed working on my latest Willow novel - finally! I finished chapter 18 and am ready to continue her story. When I started writing after neglecting my characters from Santa Elena for a few weeks, I felt this huge sense of relief and calm, which I rarely feel in life. Normally I tend to be kind of high-strung and extreme, but writing pushes all of that anxiety, stress, and tension right out of me. I don't know what it is, but I know that is a sign that I am meant to do this. If I don't, I would probably spontaneously combust at some point! I have an hour before I have to get ready to go to work, my actual job that pays the bills, so I will try to get a few pages typed up. I wonder what those wacky, lovable, down-to-earth characters will do today? I better go find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment