Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

Heart Over Head

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room." - "Crush on You" by Bruce Springsteen

What a great line! That's exactly what I feel like right now. My vacation from teaching/taking care of two extremely active and brilliant children for 10 hours a day has officially started! Don't get me wrong, I put a whole lot of heart into my work with the girls, but my overtaxed brain is now getting a desperately needed break.

This Bruce Springsteen line really jumped out at me in terms of my writing though. Yes, there is a good deal of thought involved in my writing, but I have to say that the majority comes straight from the heart. It's something I feel deep in my soul, a passion that cannot just be conjured up through brainstorming, note taking, or good old-fashioned hard work. It's much more emotional than cerebral when the words just come pouring out of me, often from a place I don't even recognize. There is nothing better than when a great plot twist, a hilarious line, or a touching moment comes out of nowhere and is staring back at me through the computer screen. That's all heart.

1 comment:

  1. 10 hours a day ... egads! Do you use limb restraints? :)

    I agree with you that when you see that perfect scene, or perfect twist it just warms you. Well posted!

    ReplyDelete