Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Inspiration for My New Goal

"You know that we are living in a material world/ And I am a material girl."
- "Material Girl" by Madonna

I took the girls to the park today, and I had a total 80's flashback. Alana was dressed in this drop-waist dress with a tutu-type ruffle on the bottom, and she was wearing black stretchy leggings with lace trim. It was so 80's I couldn't believe it. I started singing "Material Girl" to her, but since this child has no idea who Madonna is, the song was completely lost on her. Oh well. I saw another little girl with striped leg warmers, a boy with a pastel Izod polo shirt, and a kid with the same purple Chuck Taylor All-Stars that I had when I was in preschool. What year is this?!

Just as I was thinking that I had taken some bad cold medicine and entered some kind of time warp, I heard a dad telling some other parents how he made his son this delicious gluten-free pasta from scratch the other day, and little Aiden loved it with homegrown eggplant and a little parmasean cheese. That's when I realized that it is in fact 2011, because if I had tripped back to 1987, the parents (most likely only moms) would have been discussing what types of Lunchables their kids, Tiffany, Jennifer, and Michael, liked and which flavor of fruit roll-up was best.

That brings me to my new goal. I haven't done anything this week because I'm still sick and have been too miserable to write, but today I was inspired. My goal is to write an article, at least 500 words, comparing parents of the 80's to parents of today. I'm thinking it will be a little out there and hopefully funny. I know I have plenty of material to go off of!

No comments:

Post a Comment