Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Faces of Tomorrow

"We don't own this place though we act as though we did/ It belongs to the children of our children's kids/ The actual owners haven't even been born yet." - "We Can Run" sung by The Grateful Dead

I had gotten way behind on my writing goals this week due to taking care of a sick child and being sick myself, so I have been trying to catch up this weekend. In the book I have been getting exercises from, A Writer's Book of Days by Judy Reeves, the prompt for yesterday was "The Face of Tomorrow". There are no set rules assigned to these writing prompts, just to write whatever comes to mind. I thought I would share what I wrote for this passage. I would love to hear what you think!

I see two little faces every day that are growing up so quickly right before my eyes. They are the faces of tomorrow, the future of our world.

One face embodies so much drive, determination, and intelligence, that it just seeps from her pores. She always has goals and plans to make them happen. Her expressions, like her actions, are guided by a balance of practiced logic and intense emotion. She says what she means and means what she says. This child is sure to do great things in the years to come.

The other face, the one that is lit up with an electrifying blend of energy, natural humor, and pure sass, is the yin to her sister's yang. She is a wild spark of fire, a brilliant leader who commands attention as soon as she steps into a room. Not domineering, just magnetic. Her wheels are always turning, looking for solutions, answers, ways to explain the complexities of life. And she's only four years old.

If these girls decide to team up in the future, the world better wake up and take notice, because big things are going to happen. Will they find a cure for cancer, become leaders of the free world, host their own television cooking show? Only time will tell, but one thing is for sure. I'll be in the front row cheering them on when they do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment