Search This Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

Someone to Understand

"When all you ever really wanted was for someone to understand." - "Film Noir" by The Gaslight Anthem

A couple of days ago I had a moment at work that reminded me why I do what it is I do. Being a nanny and a teacher is rarely easy, and it's way messier than it is pretty, but then there are times like this when it's so worth it.

The oldest child I take care of is almost seven, and basically a mini-me as far as personality and eccentricities go. I was a very overly emotional child (and still an overly emotional adult in some respects), cried at the drop of a hat, and never thought I was fully understood by anyone. This child is the same way. If someone so much as looks at her funny, she'll burst into tears, become hysterical, and not be able to stop. Enter Shannon, or GoGo as they call me (different story for a different post). I have been working with her on this issue for months, trying to give her the tools to calm herself down and be in control of her own emotions, and she is doing so much better now. Well, the other morning on the way to school, she told me that I was her "Go-To Girl" because I am the only one that understands her and can help her with her problems. I was so touched that I almost cried in the middle of the freeway during morning rushhour traffic(see what I mean about being emotional?). The smile on her face was so peaceful, not a look that she wears very often, and I realized what a difference I have made in her life. Maybe that's why I became her nanny, which happened in a very coincidental way (next post).

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that little story with the world. That way the next time I have one of those days that is full of stopped up toilets, temper tantrums, spilled milk (someone will cry over it, for sure), and time-outs, I can remember why I do the job I do, and am happy to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment