Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

The Shining

"And we all shine on/ Like the moon and the stars and the sun." - "Instant Karma" by John Lennon

I watched my all-time favorite horror movie yesterday, "The Shining", and scared myself a little with a surprising realization. Jack Torrence, played by the super scary and super talented Jack Nicholson, was a teacher turned writer that just wanted some peace and quiet so he could work on his latest writing project. He also had an addictive personality and a bit of a temper... That sounded a little too familiar to me and for a brief second, I imagined myself turning into this:

I thought I would give myself nightmares. My family has stated that they will not ever be staying in a secluded hotel with me for an extended period of time. If they did, they might end up looking like poor Shelley Duvall when Jack yells out, "Heeerrre's Johnny!" as he chops through the door with an axe.

So, I have come to a few conclusions. I should not become an alcoholic. Nothing good could come from that, although I may be able to pass out and get a decent night's sleep. Next, all work and no play makes Shannon a dull girl, so I should try to relax every once in a while. And last but not least, I will never, under any circumstances, go snooping around room 237 of a hotel, even if I have severe writer's block and a little kid on a Big Wheel comes out of the room traumatized. There's just no coming back from that. If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch "The Shining". It's Stephen King's writing, Stanley Kubrick's directing, and Jack Nicholson's acting at it's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment