Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Picture Day

"Look at this photograph/ Every time I do it makes me laugh." - "Photograph" by Nickelback


This is my school picture from second grade. My cousin did my hair, which I thought was just about the coolest style a kid could have, and what can I say about the totally rad kitty cat sweatshirt I was wearing (with a matching purple scrunchee!)? It was 1989 and I thought I was so awesome. So what I want to know is, when did I go from being a total ham in front of the camera to running away and hiding whenever I hear someone yell, "Say cheese"? Maybe it's just part of growing up and getting older. The world may never know.

What made me think of this photo in particular is that today is picture day for the girls I nanny for. They were so excited when I dropped them off at school this morning, that it took me back to when I too loved school pictures and would smile big for the camera, showing off my missing and crooked teeth for all the world to see. Thank goodness for braces!

School pictures are a funny thing. This one was actually a reshoot because I was not only blinking in the original, but I think I was starting to sneeze too. It was horrible! Doesn't everyone have at least one picture like that? I didn't like any of my high school yearbook photos at all, but looking back at the early elementary years is a lot of fun. I laugh at the clothes and the hair, remember old friends and teachers, and most surprisingly of all, remember how truly excited I was to be in the spotlight, even if it was just for a second in the school cafeteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment