Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

Silver Lining

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings/ I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold." - "Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin

Okay. This song of the day is pretty self-explanitory. There are many, many writers out there whose dreams of publication have become a reality, and I want my dream to be realized too. The rejections I have received as well as the feedback do come with a silver lining, because they have all taught me so much about this business that I didn't know when I began two years ago. As for the pocketful of gold, that would be cool, but I'd settle for a check to pay my credit card bills. Whoa, dream big!

If you couldn't already tell, I'm getting impatient... again. In the past month I have sent out several queries and gotten a few rejections (nothing new, unfortunately), so I took a gamble. Earlier this year, an agent requested three chapters from me and ultimately passed, but I thought that maybe since I had totally reworked the beginning of my first novel, she would be willing to give it a second chance. Low and behold, her intern responded to my query and said that they would be happy to take a second look! Another silver lining perhaps? Maybe my work was rejected the first time around to give me a chance to do some rewriting, leading to a much stronger manuscript. I know I'm grasping at straws, but looking for silver linings is not what I typically do. Normally I would just see something as tarnished, messed up, or a total waste.

Anyway, this agent would be fantastic to work with and I can't wait to hear back. I'm not getting my hopes up at all because I've been burned too many times to be that optimistic now, but the waiting is killing me! It's only been nine days which is a nanosecond in the literary world, but what can I say? Patience has never been a strong point for me. I'm just hoping that her response will be my figurative "pocketful of gold" when it does arrive.

1 comment:

  1. Very good! I'm glad you're looking for the silver lining!

    ReplyDelete