Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday's Top Ten - Favorite Television Characters

"There was someone on a platform talking to the folks/ About the T.V. ..." - "T.V. Talkin' Song" by Bob Dylan

I have done a couple of television-related lists in the past and they seem to be pretty popular based on page views, so I thought today I would focus my efforts on naming my all-time favorite T.V. characters. It was hard to narrow these down because I am such a T.V. junkie, but I think my top ten goes a little something like this:


1. Lorelai Gilmore (played by Lauren Graham) - This one was a no-brainer. "Gilmore Girls" is my favorite show and there has never been a character as fantastic as Lorelai. She's quick-witted, a pop culture whiz, quirky, snarcastic (snarky + sarcastic), and a great mom. I love how she's such a fast talker and is so goofy, but she is also a successful businesswoman and managed to raise her daughter entirely on her own, even after giving birth to her at only 16. I wish more people were like Lorelai in real life. And coincidentally, Lauren Graham also plays another great character in one of my current favorite shows, "Parenthood".


2. David Addison (played by Bruce Willis) - Before becoming an A-list movie star, Bruce Willis played David Addison in the 80s series "Moonlighting". In the third episode of the first season, David, in his smooth-talking, charming way, sings "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy" and I loved him from that moment on. He's the type of character that gets into trouble but can always talk his way out of it, will punch a guy in the face to defend someone important to him, and can win anyone over with a smile. Who wouldn't love David Addison?


3. Mike Seaver (played by Kirk Cameron) - "Growing Pains" has been one of my favorite sitcoms since I was in preschool, so it's no wonder it has had such a lasting impact on me. In fact, I think Michael Aaron Seaver was the first TV character I ever loved. He's kind of like the younger version of David Addison - the charming, mischievous guy who gets into trouble but never really means to, but no one cares because you can't help but like him. I think it's the smile.


4. Lucy Ricardo (played by Lucille Ball) - There will never be another Lucy. Her trademark slapstick humor and vibrant personality is the reason everyone loves Lucy. I loved how she always wanted Ricky to put her in his nightclub act and sometimes went to extreme lengths to make her dream a reality. She and Ethel had the best friendship, and no one could pull off a joke or a prank like Lucy. She was one of a kind.


5. Jim Halpert (played by John Krasinski) - The way Jim handles his rivalry with Dwight on "The Office" has landed him on my list. Jim is one of the funniest characters on TV at the moment, and has pulled some of the best pranks of all time. (Does anyone see a pattern here with some of these characters? Hmm...) I don't think I have ever laughed harder at a TV show than when Jim impersonated Dwight or when he created a "security threat" work ID badge for Dwight "Fart" Schrute. And his storyline with Pam was so sweet and innocent, that I can't help but love him.


6. Sheldon Cooper (played by Jim Parsons) - Okay, I am now deviating from my typical favorite character completely and picking the biggest of all uber-geeks from "The Big Bang Theory". Sheldon is hilarious! His character has no sense of humor, aside from his "classic practical jokes" with a bazinga zinger at the end, seems to be incapable of most human emotions, and is consumed with science, video games, comic books, and trains, but I still love him! He could be the poster child for the phrase "there's a fine line between genius and insanity", but there is something about him that is quite endearing. I think part of the appeal of the show and Sheldon's character, for me anyway, is that they are completely different from anything else out there on TV. No one is quite as weird as Sheldon, quite as oblivious, or quite as brilliant, and that makes him very fun to watch.


7. Lindsay Weir (played by Linda Cardellini) - There has never been another character on TV that I relate to as much as Lindsay from "Freaks and Geeks". This show was on when I was a senior in high school, and in so many ways, I was Lindsay. I was the good girl that hung out with the "bad kids", I always got good grades (although I was never a Mathlete!), and we liked the same music. Plus she was quick-witted and quick to speak her mind, both qualities I have always been proud to possess myself. I think it's kind of unusual for a girl like Lindsay who is thought of as wholesome and intelligent and has never been in trouble a day in her life to be accepted by a totally different crowd, "the freaks" in this case, but I experienced a similar connection and acceptance, so I immediately identified with her. It's a shame the show wasn't on longer. I would have loved to have seen how her journey following The Grateful Dead around for the summer went.


8. John Boy Walton (played by Richard Thomas) - I love "The Waltons" and John Boy was my favorite character right from the start. I can relate to his dream of becoming a writer and each time he sent off a submission or got a rejection letter, I was like, "Yep, I know just how you feel!" And when it shows him sitting down to write at night, trying to escape all of the craziness that goes on in the rest of his life and find a moment of peace, I like to think that I know a little bit how Earl Hamner, Jr. (the real life John Boy that wrote the book which inspired the show) felt as his pen sailed across the paper, telling stories that maybe, just maybe, would mean something to someone someday.


9. Cameron Tucker (played by Eric Stonestreet) - Easily one of the funniest characters to ever appear on television, and my favorite character on "Modern Family". Cam is so over the top and flamboyant, and the faces he makes are beyond hilarious. Even his mannerisms are laugh out loud funny! He has said in interviews that he modeled his character after his mother, so I'm just assuming that she's one of the funniest, goofiest, nicest, and most likable people on the planet. And I love seeing Cam interact with Lily, his TV daughter. He's like a big papa bear who plays dress up and probably throws a killer tea party.


10. Mr. Lynn Belvedere (played by Christopher Hewett) - I have mentioned before how I think of Mr. Belvedere as my TV kindered spirit, so it's just right that he rounds out my top ten. Lindsay from "Freaks and Geeks" may be the most like me as a teenager, but somehow, I relate to Mr. Belvedere as an adult! Not the British middle-aged curmudgeon of a man (insert eye roll here), but the house manager/nanny who keeps everything under control and everyone in line, even that lovable little trouble-maker Wesley. And Mr. Belvedere writes every night as well! I think if Mr. Belvedere and I sat down for tea (yes, I know he's fictional; I haven't completely lost it yet!), we would have a lot to talk about.



No comments:

Post a Comment