Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Put Your Records On

"Girl put your records on/ Sing me your favorite song." - "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae

As you may have noticed, I have been absent from my blog for a couple of weeks. I have had a lot going on and not only haven't blogged, but haven't done any writing either. I must get back on track now! So tomorrow there will be a fun Tuesday's Top Ten, and today I will write about something I absolutely love - records.

I have an iPod and an iPad which are great, but I am not from the mp3 generation. I am from the generation of records and cassette tapes, even an occassional 8 track thrown in when I was little. Part of that is because I grew up in the 80s, and part of it is because I have always been a fan of anything retro. Even though CDs started to come out when I was a toddler, I have always loved vinyl more. There is a richness to the sound of a record spinning on a stereo that cannot be achieved with tapes, CDs, or mp3s. Yeah, the sound might be crisper or louder or clearer with modern technology, but I think some of the honesty and depth is lost compared to the sound of music on vinyl.

Once I started to really collect vinyl, my mom gave me all of her old records (yea me!) and I bought some at yard sales when I was lucky enough to find them. Now I shop online and at my local independent record store that I recently discovered, just in time for Record Store Day which was great for me but not for my bank account! What is especially exciting, is that there are bands and artists out there who are still putting their albums out on vinyl, like The Gaslight Anthem, The Horrible Crowes, Bruce Springsteen, and many more. So my collection continues to grow. And when I buy records, I play them. Even limited editions that some people won't open, let alone listen to. But I figure that if I'm spending my very hard earned money on something, I am going to enjoy it. So when my turntable started malfuncitoning recently, I knew I had to buy another one. And because I love it so much, I will share a couple of pictures of the record player with you, featuring some of my favorite records and a few that are new to my collection.







What do you think? I love the vintage look and the sound is unbelievable. When I lowered the needle for the first time, all was right with the world as the first notes floated out through the speakers. Sometimes I think rock and roll really can save the world. Maybe the hippies were right about that. Peace, love, and rock and roll everybody!

2 comments:

  1. I love the vintage sound. My parents always played their old records when were were growing up, and I loved listening to them. My sister ended up inheriting Dad's old record collection. Lucky her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I hope your sister shares the records with you, Mary Ellen. There's just something about vinyl that is extra special, isn't there? And when you have the childhood memories attached to the records as well, nothing beats it. :)

      Delete