Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Peace on Earth

"Every child must be made aware/ Every child must be made to care/ Care enough for his fellow man/ To give all the love that he can/ I pray my wish will come true/ For my child and your child too." - "Peace on Earth" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie

When I picked Alana up from school today, she was very upset because her best friend said that she didn't want to be her friend anymore, then snatched some markers out of Alana's hand. How do you explain to a four-year-old that kids are just mean sometimes without trivializing the situation? I tried to comfort her and tell her that hopefully things will be better tomorrow and her friend was probably just in a bad mood, but I felt that no matter what I said, it wouldn't have been good enough because I can't make people be nice to Alana and Riley. I also told her that I was proud of her for doing the right thing by continuing to be nice, even though she wasn't being treated the right way. She really is a good kid.

So, even though I can't teach every child how to care about their classmates and treat people with love and respect, at least I can take pride in knowing that I am doing a good job showing Alana the correct way to treat people. I guess I'm doing something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment