Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday's Top Ten - Springsteen Songs

"In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream/ At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines." - "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen

Seriously, how amazingly cool are those lyrics? I heard "Born to Run" on the radio this morning and decided to dedicate this week's top ten list to the incredible songs of The Boss. These are my favorite Springsteen songs at the moment, but he has so many fantastic songs, there's a good chance some of these would change if you asked me next week. :)

1. The River - This is one of the most beautiful sad songs I have ever heard. It is the perfect portrait of blue collar America and how our lives don't always end up like we planned. Favorite lines: Now those memories come back to haunt me/ They haunt me like a curse/ Is a dream a lie if it don't come true/ Or is it something worse.

2. Racing in the Street - This song is just cool. Plain and simple. Bruce is a great storyteller, and this tale comes complete with classic cars, drag racing, and an ode to the Martha and the Vandellas' hit "Dancing in the Street". What's not to love? Favorite lines: I met her on the strip three years ago/ In a Camaro with this dude from L.A./ I blew that Camaro off my back and drove that little girl away.

3. Born to Run - This classic from 1975 is as powerful as the suicide machines Bruce sings about. Hearing this song makes me want to sing at the top of my lungs and drive as fast as I can, just for the fun of it. Favorite lines: Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend/ I want to guard your dreams and visions/ Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims/ And strap your hands across my engines.

4. Born in the U.S.A. - One of the reasons I love this song so much is because people think of it as this patriotic anthem, but it's actually a protest song about part of what's wrong with this country. "Born in the U.S.A." gets me amped up just like "Born to Run" which I love, but maybe I shouldn't listen to Bruce when I'm driving. Just a thought. Favorite lines: Got in a little hometown jam/ So they put a rifle in my hand/ Sent me off to a foreign land/ To go and kill the yellow man. Yes, America, this is how you handle things - with violence. (Insert eye roll here)

5. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce gets rebellious again. I love it! This song was his answer to being pressured by his record company to churn out a hit. Creative inspiration, heart and soul, thoughtful writing, none of that was important as long as it was popular on the radio. Leave it to Bruce to turn that kind of pressure into something amazing. And yes, this was a hit, but Bruce didn't sell out, he made a hit record in his own way, the only way that matters. Favorite lines: You can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart/ This gun's for hire/ Even if we're just dancing in the dark.

6. My Hometown - An honest portrait of a small, run-down American town over the years. Four and a half minutes of melancholy beauty. Once again, this song shows off Bruce's storytelling skills and makes me feel like I'm right there, driving next to him down Main Street. Favorite lines: Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around/ This is your hometown.

7. Glory Days - This song is so much fun! I could listen to Bruce reminiscing about his good old days in high school all day long and never get bored. Plus, the music video for "Glory Days" is great too. Bruce and Little Steven Van Zant seem to be having the best time, and that joy is contagious. Favorite lines: I had a friend who was a big baseball player/ Back in high school/ He could throw that speedball by you/ Make you look like a fool boy.

8. The Rising - I rememeber when this song came out after September 11, it just felt so powerful and emotional, and kind of healing at the same time. Music does have the power to heal, and this song, this album, was Bruce's response to that terrible time that changed the world. Favorite lines: Sky of blackness and sorrow/ Sky of love, sky of tears/ Sky of glory and sadness/ Sky of mercy, sky of fear. Those words always give me chills.

9. Thunder Road - Bruce and Mary are busting out of town! Forget about the pain and the fear, jump in the car, and go. I love this song. Bruce just wants Mary to trust him enough to hop in the front seat and say goodbye to the losers in their town, hit the road and find something better. Haven't we all felt like that at some point in our lives? Favorite lines: Show a little faith, there's magic in the night/ You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright/ Oh and that's alright with me.

10. Girls in Their Summer Clothes - A quiet summer evening of a time gone by is the backdrop for this song. Kids playing ball outside, people eating at Frankie's Diner and Pop's Grill, and Bruce thinking about a lost love as the girls in their summer clothes pass him by. Equal parts nostalgia, heartache, and small-town summer nights. Definitely my favorite song from the "Magic" album. Favorite lines: A kid's rubber ball smacks/ Off the gutter 'neath the lamp light/ Big bank clock chimes/ Off go the sleepy front porch lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment