Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday's Top Ten - Favorite Books

"She reads too many books/ Got new movies inside her head." - "Hero Blues" by Bob Dylan

I love to read, which is probably no surprise. Ever since I was 11 years old I have enjoyed memoirs and biographies, and I have always loved fiction that blends emotion and humor. And then there's anything related to pop culture. And psychology. And thrillers. And women's fiction. And poetry. I just love books - the words on the pages, the smell of the paper, the feel of a hardcover book in my hands. It's an addiction that I am proud to own up to. It's hard to choose just ten favorites to showcase, but I'll do it for this list.


1. I first read this book when I was in sixth grade and have read it many times since. This memoir was written by Betty Mahmoody about her truly horrific and inspiring experience being trapped in Iran by her deranged husband and refusing to go back to America without her young daughter, Mahtob. Not Without My Daughter reminds me of how strong and courageous people can be, and what we can survive with faith, love, and intense determination.


2. I know I've talked about The Help before, but I will mention it again because it is a book that everyone should read. Kathryn Stockett takes readers to a place that is rarely talked about and only understood by the women filling the roles of "the help". The black women in the mid-twentieth century South who raised white children and managed the homes of white families - some appreciative, some racist, and some indifferent. The characters are so well-developed that after only a couple of chapters I felt like I knew these women. The story is gripping, interesting, and best of all, honest. I was so sad when I finished the book because it was so amazing, I just didn't want it to end.


3. Becky Bloomwood is one of my favorite characters of all time. I love the entire Shopaholic series, with my favorite titles being Confessions of a Shopaholic and Mini Shopaholic. Sophie Kinsella is a master at creating characters that are believable, hilarious, and likable. That's a killer combination that I don't always see in books. And being a card-carrying (Visa, Mastercard, Discover...) shopaholic myself, I can relate to Becky as she finds amazing deals, perfect gifts, and items she can't possibly live without, as well as the sick feeling when the bills come. "Okay, don't panic."


4. Robin Jones Gunn is my favorite author. She creates characters that people can identify with; that I would like to be friends with. I love her Glenbrook Series (women's fiction), Sierra Jensen and Katie Weldon Series (both young adult), and Sisterchicks novels (women's fiction), but my favorites are the books that make up the Christy Miller Series. I read these twelve books over and over again all throughout my teenage years and grew up with Christy, Todd, Katie, Tracy, Doug, and the rest of the group. After Christy grew up and that series ended, her story continued in the three book Christy and Todd Series which is also among my favorites.


5. Stephen King is a genius. I have read so many of his books over the years, but 11/22/63 is a true masterpiece. And I'm only halfway finished with it! Normally I would never say something was one of my favorites when I haven't finished it, but this book is just that amazing. 11/22/63 centers around a man who travels back in time to try to stop the assination of John F. Kennedy. Along the way he learns that everything he does has an impact on the future and affects so many lives. It really gives readers a lot to think about. And Stephen King has a great way of incorporating music and other pop culture references into his work that make it really enjoyable to read, even if the story is freaking you out a little at the same time. It is extremely difficult to put this book down!


6. As those of you who read my blog regularly know, I love psychology! This is the book that got me hooked on that subject. Starving For Attention is the autobiography of Cherry Boone O'Neill, daughter of singer Pat Boone. She suffered from anorexia and bulimia for many years, even before they were widely known disorders. I have lost count of how many times I have read this book and am sure I will read it again many times in the future. Cherry fought back from being on the verge of dying and was brave enough to share her story with the world. And it's an incredible story.


7. Ah, Little Women. This was one of my favorite books growing up and I still love it. Jo was my favorite of the March sisters, and I wanted to grow up to be a writer just like her. All of the sisters were so great in their own ways, and I love how Louisa May Alcott created such separate, fully fleshed-out identities for each character. It was like they were real people, and I know from personal writing experience that that is a very difficult thing to do. Little Women is a classic for a reason. It's a beautifully told, engaging, entertaining story that will always stand the test of time.


8. This book is wonderful! Kristin Hannah is a genius at writing books that tap in to a reader's emotions and make them fall right into the story. The Things We Do For Love is about Angie, a thirty-something divorced woman who is mourning the loss of her stillborn child, and Lauren, an above average teenager from a below average upbringing, who is dealing with an unexpected pregnancy. Their lives intertwine and while I thought this novel would be predictable, it wasn't! The Things We Do For Love has one of the best endings of any book I have ever read, and I will be a Kristin Hannah fan for life because of it.


9. I just talked about The Gift of the Magi a couple of months ago, so I'll keep it brief. The reason I love this book so much is because it tells the story of Della and Jim Young, a poor couple who love each other so much, they give up their most prized possessions in order to buy a Christmas gift for the other person. Simple, lovely, and timeless.


10. I am a sucker for rock (auto)biographies, and this one was fantastic! Pattie Boyd, the inspiration behind the amazing songs "Wonderful Tonight" and "Layla" by Eric Clapton and "Something" by George Harrison/The Beatles, was married to both of these rock icons and had an interesting view of the music world that she shares beautifully in this memoir. Plus there are great photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment