Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Deck the Halls!

"Deck the halls with boughs of holly/ Fa la la la la, la la la la."

It's my favorite time of the year again, and I thought I would share some photos of what my house looks like at Christmastime. Around here, Christmas is a huge event, the biggest, and we don't do anything halfway. We have not one, not two, but three full-sized Christmas trees and enough decorations to cover basically every inch of the house. It's a regular Santa's Village in here! And I love it. Here are our trees and some of my most favorite decorations.


This is the tree in our dining room, which doubles as my office. It is the Victorian tree, dressed up mostly with delicate vintage or vintage inspired ornaments and white lights. On top of this tree, we have a glittery finial that we call the Family Heirloom. It is actually just a cheap tree topper that my mom bought at Sav-On for $1.79 when she was 19, but it just wouldn't be right to not have it adorn our fanciest tree. What can I say, we are suckers for tradition.


Our living room tree is the first one you see when walking through the front door. We call it the retro tree, as it is the home to our old (and new) Shiny Brites, colorful blown glass balls, Santas, and snowmen, and a variety of theme ornaments that remind us all of our childhoods. Looking around the tree, I am greeted with the joyful sights of ornaments featuring the Peanuts characters, Mickey Mouse, Rudolph, and Hallmark's very own Rhonda and Rodney Reindeer. You can't help but smile when seeing this Christmas tree.


And now my favorite tree. This tree is in the corner of our family room, and it is packed full of fun ornaments, the majority being from Hallmark. Honestly, my mom, sister, and I have spent so much time and money at that store over the years, I think they should start paying us to promote their Christmas decorations! You know it's a bit excessive when the sales associates know you by name.


Right smack dab in the middle of the family room tree, I have placed my favorite ornaments for all to see. My all-time favorite collection is my Crayola collection from - you guessed it - Hallmark! I have about 15 Crayola ornaments that I have collected over the years, but my favorite is the very first one I got when I was in kindergarten, the "Bright Christmas Dreams" crayon box from 1987 with the four adorable sleeping mice, all tucked in for a long winter's nap. That is one of two ornaments that I always put up on the tree myself, no matter what. No one touches these special ornaments but me, or else! (I know, I turn into a crazed, hyper five-year-old this time of year!)


This is the other one that I have to find the perfect spot for every year. No, it's not the B.A.S.S. one, it's the "Beary Smooth Ride" ornament from way back in 1985 when I was only three years old. I don't what it is about this one, but I absolutely love it. Out of the hundreds of ornaments that hang on nearly every branch of our trees, this one of the teddy bear on the trike is my favorite. When I see it, I instantly flash back to being that three-year-old, zipping around on my own little tricycle. I love all of my ornaments, but it's these old ones that mean the most.

Okay, I'm done with the trees now. Here are a few photos of some of my favorite decorations, just a sampling of what I get so excited to see every Christmas season. I am a big snowglobe collector, so there is part of my collection on top of our piano, a photo of our stockings (made by my mom) hanging over the fireplace, the glittery village of vintage-inspired houses and figurines on a tea cart in our dining room, and last but not least, my favorite decoration of them all. That would be the nativity scene that my dad gave my mom a long time ago, I think before I was born. Some pieces have been added over the years, but the original figurines are Christmas to me. Seeing them not only reminds me of what Christmas is all about, the birth of Christ which is the greatest gift of all, but also of all of the wonderful Christmases I have been lucky enough to experience in my life. I hope all of you have as many heartwarming holiday memories as I do.


One stocking for each person and two for my much loved, very spoiled dog, Scooby.


No comments:

Post a Comment