Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Storm Front Coming In

"There's a dirty wind blowing in/ There's a storm front coming in/ There's an S.O.S. on the seas tonight." - "I Could'a Been a Contender" by The Gaslight Anthem

Are there any lyrics more perfect than these when a hurricane is barrelling down on your town? I don't think so. As the forecast stands, Hurricane Irene is expected to hit the Outer Banks of North Carolina and then come up the coast, hammering southeastern Virginia with torrential rain, flooding, monsterous winds, and possible tornadoes. Sounds fun, right? Actually, in a way, this storm does hold a little bit of excitement for me. I don't know why, but crazy weather has always been a little thrilling for me, and a small part of me is looking forward to a visit from Irene. Of course I don't want any destruction, damage, or lives lost though. Can't I have it both ways - a hurricane with no long-lasting negative effects? I can't? Bummer.

So, as the storm heads my way, I will be silently (and sometimes out loud if inspiration strikes) be singing every storm song I can think of, praying that no damage is done, and looking forward to a wild day tomorrow. Hopefully I will have power for a little while and will be able to post an update as Hurricane Irene comes knocking at my door on Saturday...

No comments:

Post a Comment