Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Magic Bus

"Every day you'll see the dust (Too much, magic bus)/ As I drive my baby in my magic bus (Too much, magic bus)." - "Magic Bus" by The Who

On the way to school yesterday the kids were kind of quiet, but instead of enjoying the peace for a change (what can I say, I'm a little insane), I suggested that we play the amusement park game. This is a little game the three of us made up a while ago to pass the time in the car (where we spend a good part of our day sometimes!). I am the owner of the park and take the kids on all kinds of wild rides, describing each turn, flip, and splash with over-the-top enthusiasm. They love it! It's simple and silly, but it makes them happy.

So yesterday, the five-year-old asked me to make up a roller coaster that was also a water ride. After taking them on an imaginary trip aboard the "Atlantic Splash Coaster" as they named it, they were laughing wildly and shaking pretend salt water droplets out of their hair, when the seven-year-old stopped and told me that I was just like Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus.


Now, I look nothing like the cartoon character, who bears a striking resemblence to Bette Midler, so I asked her how I was like The Frizz. She said it was because I am crazy like her and make everything an adventure, and they always have fun learning with me, just like the kids in Ms. Frizzle's class. I was touched. And aparently if I had to identify with a cartoon character, it would be The Frizz, haha!

I have to say though, the bus itself does nothing for me. In the end, it always transforms back into just a plain yellow school bus. If I were to drive a magic bus, I think Further, the groovy psychadelic bus driven by Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters in the 60s is more my taste. But I think I'd bring along my own Kool-Aid. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment