Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesday's Top Ten - My Favorite Names

"Like the pine trees lining the winding road/ I've got a name/ I've got a name." - "I've Got a Name" by Jim Croce

I have mentioned a couple of times before that I have an obsession with names. It all started in sixth grade when my classmates and I had to raise egg babies for a week as part of our family life class. I was the lucky student that was awarded triplets - three soft-boiled eggs that I doted on enough to get an 'A' on the assignment. And the first part of the project was picking out names. That is what kickstarted an obsession that has been going on for well over a decade now. So here are my top ten names for boys and girls, with explanations as to why I love them.

Girls

1. Katelyn - It's just the most beautiful name on the planet.
2. Sheridan - Combines the names of my aunt and my uncle - Shary and Dan.
3. Shealyn - Irish for fairy palace - pure magic right there.
4. Bridgette - A pretty Irish name that means strong.
5. Teaghan - Welsh for beautiful. What a great name to go through life with.
6. Melissa - I have loved this name since 1984 when I bestowed it upon my first Cabbage Patch Kid.
7. Bethlehem - After Jesus' birthplace, and I love the nickname Beth.
8. Kelly - It was popular in the 70s/80s and sounds fresh 30 years later.
9. Jillianne - This name just sounds happy to me.
10. Mary - Classic, beautiful, and Biblical.

Boys

1. Brian - Irish for strong and noble. What could be better?
2. Dylan - After my favorite musician, Bob Dylan.
3. James - This name has been in my family for at least six generations.
4. Aiden - I like that it means fiery, and I loved it way before it became one of the most popular names in America.
5. Joseph - It's a strong, Biblical name, and I love the nicknames Joey and Joe.
6. Ryan - I think the meaning little king is very neat.
7. Jeremy - No reason for this one, I have just always liked it.
8. Nicholas - After St. Nicholas. I am so obsessed with Christmas!
9. Matthew - I used to babysit a little boy named Matthew and it has been one of my favorite names ever since.
10. Beck - A family name that has a nice ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment